In today’s pandemic situation across the world, the world as a whole is terrified, and there is turmoil everywhere. Millions are getting affected, and people are also losing their loved ones. It is a common saying- “Prevention is better than cure,” so according to experts, maintaining personal hygiene is crucial to prevent the virus from entering our body. Though the mortality rate is less and initially, experts mentioned that only old age people or those with some pre-existing disease are more prone to catch the virus infection. But with the rising number of cases, it is evident that this does not hold true, and irrespective of the age, the virus is catching hold on people with weak immunity. Therefore, one should work to strengthen their immune system to fight against this pandemic.
Ways to Boost your Immunity
Maintaining Basic Hygiene:
- Wash your hands for at least 30 seconds with soap.
- Clean your hands with 70% alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Wear N-95 face masks (preferably).
- Use disinfectant wipes to clean your doorknobs, phones, laptops, etc.
- Sanitize every outside stuff that you bring home.
- Keep yourself hydrated and try to drink Luke-warm water during the day.
- Drink Kadha once/ twice a day: It is an ayurvedic drink prepared by boiling herbs and spices in water for a few minutes to extract their medicinal benefits. It is a home remedy for cough and cold or any allergies by boosting one’s immunity. It should be sipped when hot and can be stored and reheated when required. The key ingredients are- Ginger, Black pepper, Cinnamon, Clove, Cardamom, Holy Basil, and the benefits of each element are as mentioned below in the food, herbs, and spices section.
- Drink Turmeric milk before bedtime: One can prepare this by mixing an Asian spice, Turmeric, in its powdered form in warm milk. Turmeric is an antioxidant and has antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties that help in the proper functioning of cells in our body and fight cell damage, thereby reducing the risk of infection. It also has multiple other benefits like it purifies blood, prevents cancer, heals wounds, relieves joint pain, delays aging, and adds glow to the skin.
- Avoid Alcohol or Smoking as this weakens the respiratory system and immunity,
Immunity Boosting Food, Herbs, and Spices:
The food you in-take impacts your immune system. Therefore, one should eat a balanced diet which includes fruits, vegetables which are a rich source of vitamins and spices & herbs have immunity-boosting properties-
- Vitamins & Minerals: Vitamin C and D play a significant role in improving the immune system, among others, of their category. Citrus fruits and vegetables like Amla (Gooseberries), Orange, Lemon, Tomato, Kiwi, Kale, Broccoli are natural sources of Vitamin C. While vitamin D is vital for bone health, muscle function, and immune system. Egg yolk, Mushroom, and Cow milk are sources of Vitamin D. Zinc help in metabolism function and immune system as well. Cashew, Chickpeas, Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc.
- Yogurt: It is a natural probiotic and helps in the formation of good bacteria in our body, which is essential for nutrient absorption and building immunity.
- Garlic: It is an antioxidant and contains allicin, which helps fight the infections and boosts immunity. You can eat it raw or add it while cooking.
- Ginger: It also has antioxidant properties and contains magnesium, zinc, iron, and calcium. Ginger helps to combat cold and enhances immunity. It can be added in tea, food, or can be eaten with honey.
- Cinnamon: It not only adds flavor to a dish but also regulates blood pressure and protects against viral infections.
- Licorice Root: It is also known as Mulethi and has compounds that are antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral benefits. It cures sore throat and cold.
- Clove, Black pepper, and Holy Basil: The two spices help in throat ailments. Holy Basil is a medicinal plant that is antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal, anti-inflammatory and has various benefits besides making you more immune to infections.
Stress causes mental fatigue and impacts our immune system. Therefore, it is crucial to stay calm and relax by practicing meditation or yoga. Home-workouts releases toxins from the body. These can be sun salutation, skipping rope, plank, jumping jack, etc.
Take Proper Sleep:
An adult should take 7-8 hours of sleep as it naturally heals and repairs the body’s wear and tear. Lack of sleep makes one feel tired and lethargic and also reduces immunity to fight against any disease.
In these testing times, one should follow and incorporate immunity-boosting practices in their daily routine to save themselves and their families. People consider money to be their most significant wealth, but health is the greatest wealth because you cannot enjoy wealth when you are not in good health.
It is paramount to keep in mind that “Spare some time for your immunity, health, and wellness, Else, you will be forced to take time by your illness.”