Every new day is a new opportunity for you to start fresh. With stress and anxiety overwhelming our lives, mental health concerns are substantially rising, impacting our mood, thought, and behavior. These concerns become mental health disorders or illness when the symptoms start interfering with your day to day life and maybe so severe that they cause suicidal thoughts.
We often have this phobia of being judged for our mental illness or struggle with thoughts that asking for help indicates weakness. Due to this, we take a step back and try to suppress our thoughts and feelings. But it is vital to acknowledge and treat them before they become severe. Guided self-help is often fruitful in treating common mental health problems.
Some Self Help tips you can easily follow are listed below:
- Pay attention to signs, and take proper treatment to reduce the symptoms that impact your life. Don’t be afraid of being labeled with mental illness.
- Seeking assistance is imperative. It is an indication of strength because it takes courage to speak up.
- Say positive mantras like ‘I am strong. I am enough’ instead of playing the victim. It separates the person from the illness. Never let the illness define who you are.
- Keep yourself engaged because an idle mind is devil’s workshop. Try new things, pursue your hobby, cook, learn a language, solve a crossword, etc. because it boosts your mood and breaks unhealthy thinking patterns.
- Understand your worth and accept who you are to deal with it better. Don’t let stigma create self-doubt. Treat yourself with kindness and avoid self-criticism.
- Isolation befriends mental illness. Reach out to loved ones, talk out your feelings as sharing helps you feel better.
- Set small but achievable goals, as accomplishments boost your self-confidence and motivate you to move towards bigger goals.
- Take care of your physical health by indulging in physical activities like walking, swimming, eating a nutritious diet, taking quality sleep.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs as they might make you feel better for some time but aggravates the problems in the long run.
- Take a break from the monotonous schedule. Give your mind some rest and spice it up with something you like doing or are good at.
- Control your restless mind by practicing meditation/ yoga. Start with simple deep breathing exercises as they can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. Try breathing activities on the JoyScore app. The universal 4-7-8 breathing works wonders.
- Write a journal to track mood changes, activities, people that cause you to feel better or worse. It might also help you notice that you have more good days than you think. Or the best option you can explore is the mood tracker in the JoyScore app. It also gives you a report of all your days and suggests relevant activities to elevate your mood.
- Repel your weak emotions by following the opposite-to-emotion technique. If you are upset with an urge to isolate, instead move out and be around people.
Identifying the symptoms and recovering from mental illness requires strength, persistence, and awareness. If you feel powerless battling with everyday problems, remind yourself that you have made it this far, and you are incredibly strong to make your way further. Joyscore app helps you realize self-worth and stabilize your wandering mind with plenty of techniques to direct you far away from the burdens of life and attain peace. It will also help you change the way you feel and experience a rewarding life.